Brett D. Goodman
ArentFox Schiff LLP
1301 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10019
Brett has experience representing debtors, committees of creditors and equity holders, chapter 11 and 7 trustees, indenture trustees, agents, secured and unsecured creditors, lenders, asset purchasers and landlords in bankruptcy cases and out-of-court restructurings across the country. Brett also defends and prosecutes avoidance actions and represents lenders in complex commercial workouts and foreclosures. His matters have covered various industries, including financial services, banking, retail, restaurants, media, real estate, mortgage servicing, airlines, aerospace, and energy.
- New York Law School, JD, 2006
- University of Michigan, BGS, James B. Angell Scholar, 2003
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York Bar
- New Jersey Bar
- US Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- US District Court, District of New Jersey
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Western District of New York
- Representation of prepetition purchasers in the Tailored Brands, Inc., et al. chapter 11 cases.
- Representation of DIP lender in the Collective, Inc. chapter 11 cases.
- Representation of secured lender in the Firestar Diamond, Inc., et al. chapter 11 cases.
- Representation of private investment firm in the Orion HealthCorp, Inc., et al. chapter 11 cases.
- Representation of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Holsted Marketing, Inc. chapter 11 case.
- Representation of various solar project lessors in the SunEdison, Inc. et al. chapter 11 cases.
- Representation of Trustee as Special Litigation Counsel in the Ampal-American Israel Corporation chapter 7 case.
- Representation of commercial and shopping center landlords with leases in retail bankruptcy cases, including Pier 1 Imports, Town Sports, Fairway, GNC, RadioShack, Filene’s Basement, H&H Bagels, Joyce Leslie, Crumbs, Payless Shoesource, Gymboree and Sears/Kmart.
- Representation of aerospace equipment and systems companies in AMR Corporation, et al. chapter 11 cases, and Hawker Beechcraft, Inc., et al. chapter 11 cases.
- Representation of the debtors in the Perkins & Marie Callender’s Inc., et al. chapter 11 cases.
- Representation of the Ad Hoc Steering Committee of Project Lenders of Fairfield Residential LLC, et al.
- Representation of the Indenture Trustee for First Priority Senior Secured Notes and the Collateral Agent in the ION Media Networks, Inc., et al. chapter 11 cases.
- Representation of the Ad Hoc Committee of Equity Security Holders in the CanArgo Energy Corporation chapter 11 case.
- Representation of the Indenture Trustee for Convertible Senior Debentures in the LandAmerica Financial Group, Inc., et al. chapter 11 cases.
- Representation of the Indenture Trustee for Convertible Senior Subordinated Notes in the Apex Silver Mines Limited, et al. chapter 11 cases.
- Representation of a secured bank creditor in the Gold & Honey (1995) LP chapter 11 and chapter 15 cases.
- Panelist, “The Next Wave“, Credit Research Foundation, March 9, 2022
- Co-presenter, “Bankruptcy Claims Trading,” Financial Poise Webinar, March 9, 2021.
- Moderator/Speaker, “Make-Whole Premiums Part 2: The Landscape Since Momentive and Energy Future Holdings,” ABA Business Law Section Annual Meeting, September 19, 2015.
- Speaker, “Make-Whole Premiums: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly,” ABA Business
- Law Section Annual Meeting, September 12, 2014.
- Speaker, “Bankruptcy Issues With Loan Structures and Workouts,” ABA Business Law Section Spring Meeting, April 12, 2014.
- Selected as New York “Rising Star” in Bankruptcy: Business by New York Super Lawyer Magazine-Metro Edition (2014 – 2022)
- Selected as New York “Rising Star” in Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights by New York Super Lawyer Magazine-Metro Edition (2013)
With unparalleled resources, experience and bench depth, ArentFox Schiff is a leading force in the bankruptcy and restructuring world. Our Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring group advises clients across the country in every aspect of distressed situations, bankruptcy proceedings and financial restructurings.
We represent creditors’ committees, indenture trustees, agents, bondholders, landlords, contract counterparties and vendors, debtors, secured creditors, lenders, and providers of financing in bankruptcy proceedings across industries, including health care and assisted living, energy, oil and gas exploration and production, mining, retail, airline, life sciences, manufacturing, telecommunications, metals, e-commerce and internet, restaurant, hotel and hospitality, medical technology, pharmaceuticals, construction, real estate, and bank and finance holding companies.
We also frequently advise and represent acquirers of and investors in troubled, distressed, and bankrupt companies.
We are often asked to represent debtors and counsel boards of directors and management of companies in stress, distress and bankruptcy. We have particular expertise restructuring domestic subsidiaries of foreign holding companies.
Our reputation as aggressive, innovative, creative, and effective has earned us the respect of our peers, adversaries and most importantly, clients. Our clients call on us for strategic advice and to evaluate and respond to fast-paced situations. We don’t just flag problems, we develop and implement solutions. Our attorneys know a successful outcome requires more than outstanding legal skills. It demands that we know your business, your industry, and your goals — and use that insight to drive successful results and maximize value.
Located in the country’s major economic hubs and financial centers, we provide the critical counsel that our clients need to navigate problems found where business and the law intersect. We are proud to serve as go-to advisors to many of the world’s top companies.