Carolyn J. Johnsen
Dickinson Wright LLP
1850 North Central Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85004
Ms. Johnsen’s experience includes creating complex plans of reorganization for multi-million dollar companies in a wide-range of industries, including healthcare, mortgage lending, real estate, manufacturing, retail, refining, hospitality, aviation and energy-related.
Ms. Johnsen has advised private and public corporations in formulating and implementing managerial, personnel and operational structures. She has also guided numerous boards and senior managers in developing strategies and solutions for revising operations and restructuring debt to effectuate the emergence of a stronger business through bankruptcy, or to take advantage of acquisition and sale opportunities, including the application of bankruptcy procedures favorable to corporate securities regulation compliance. In addition, Ms. Johnsen has negotiated multiple multi-million dollar transactions with lenders, investment bankers and brokers, asset purchasers and sellers, and governmental agencies.
- Texas A&M University
- B.S., Wildlife and Fisheries Science, 1977
- Texas Tech University School of Law
- J.D., 1980
- Norwich University
- M.A., Military History, 2011
- Represented Unsecured Creditors’ Committee for multi-million dollar airline parts manufacturing company with national and international distribution; successfully negotiated plan for survival of the company and payment to creditors; recognized nationally by Turnaround Management Association as Small Company Turnaround of the Year for 2018
- Represented Unsecured Creditors’ Committee in successful reorganization of two hospitals; recognized nationally by Turnaround Management Association as Mid-Sized Company Turnaround of the year for 2017 and by the M&A Advisor for its Health Care/Life Sciences Deal of the Year for 2016
- Served as lead counsel for Debtor company with a $1 billion commercial loan portfolio, 2400 investors, and multiple borrowers; responsible for revamping board and management; minimized and controlled litigation; resolved compliance issues with State Banking Department, SEC and State Attorney General; protected company’s position in six simultaneous multi-million dollar bankruptcies; stabilized company to permit a court and creditor approved plan of reorganization
- Continued representation of Arizona’s largest utility company in bankruptcy matters guiding the Board of Directors and General Counsel in formulating and implementing policies and procedures and negotiating and finalizing multi-million dollar power agreements and plant sales
- Served as lead counsel to owner of national sports franchise in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy by the franchise; negotiated with national league, creditors and municipal stadium owner regarding competitive sale of franchise, player contracts, team assets, and assumption of stadium rights and contracts
- Represented international, NASDAQ-traded software company in commercial bankruptcy matters, guiding General Counsel in formulating policies and procedures
- Represented Unsecured Creditors’ Committee successful reorganization of a publicly-held food manufacturing company with nationwide and international manufacturing facilities; negotiated full payment plan with return to shareholders
- Represented Unsecured Creditors’ Committee in successful sale of publicly held company engaged in the international manufacturing of automobile chargers and related products
As a full-service law firm with offices across the United States and Toronto, Dickinson Wright’s Bankruptcy, Restructuring, and Insolvency practice provides comprehensive business advisory, crisis management, bankruptcy and restructuring counsel, and creditor litigation services to banks, non-traditional lenders, trade creditors, and customers of financially troubled companies in the U.S., Canada, and internationally.
Dickinson Wright also provides bankruptcy and restructuring counsel to financially troubled companies and individuals themselves. The firm frequently works with or represents receivers in both state and federal courts, and also acts as bankruptcy estate professionals, representing debtors, unsecured creditors committees, and other types of committees in complex Chapter 11 cases. Dickinson Wright regularly counsels and represents companies interested in purchasing troubled companies or their assets inside or outside of bankruptcy.
Dickinson Wright’s bankruptcy and restructuring lawyers are esteemed by both clients and peers for their industry experience and commitment to excellent representation. The practice is ranked by Chambers USA® and many members of the team are regularly cited for their work by Chambers®, Super Lawyers®, and Best Lawyers®, as well as other leading evaluating organizations.
As a growing, full-service law firm of diverse and dedicated legal professionals, our lawyers are respected by their peers, honored by industry endorsements, and recognized through significant appointments to bar associations and the judiciary system. But, the most important thing to us is the respect we’ve earned from our clients. For more than 140 years, we’ve put our clients first. From Fortune 500 companies to small and emerging businesses to governmental entities, nonprofits and individuals, every client is important to us.
Our unwavering focus on client satisfaction and service has defined our purpose and propelled our growth. We develop strong relationships built on a deep understanding of each client’s needs, quick responsiveness, and sound advice.
“A significant player in bankruptcy, restructuring, and insolvency, acting for both debtors and creditors in addition to bankruptcy trustees. Offers a wide range of expertise, covering workouts and out-of-court debt restructurings as well as bankruptcies.“