Lisa P. Sumner
Nexsen Pruet, LLC
4141 Parklake Avenue
Raleigh, NC 27612
Lisa has been helping creditors protect and enforce their rights in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia for more than two decades by structuring deals to avoid risk and maximize recovery, pursuing effective collection strategies, and defending against lender liability claims. Clients seek Lisa’s counsel to appoint receivers on behalf of creditors, evaluate the option of an involuntary bankruptcy, or for guidance in out-of-court workouts, loan modifications and forbearance agreements.
In bankruptcy cases Lisa’s clients frequently engage her to prosecute contested claims, seek stay relief, negotiate and challenge Chapter 11 plans, defend preference, fraudulent transfer and other adversary proceedings, oppose discharge of debts incurred through fraud or for student loans, and represent buyers seeking to purchase a debtor’s assets through the Section 363 sale process.
Recognizing that litigation isn’t always her client’s best option, in the area of alternative dispute resolution Lisa has participated in numerous successful mediation conferences and completed training in the collaborative law process pursuant to the NC Collaborative Law Act.
- Recognized by Chambers USA, Bankruptcy/Restructuring, North Carolina 2014-2022
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/ Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Since 2013;
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for “Lawyer of the Year” for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law in Raleigh in 2016
- Ranked among Super Lawyers magazine’s North Carolina “Super Lawyers” (Bankruptcy), 2014-2020, 2022; “Rising Stars” (Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights), 2009; Top 50 Women North Carolina “Super Lawyers”, 2016-2018
- Ranked in Business North Carolina magazine’s “Legal Elite” (Bankruptcy), 2010-2012, 2014, 2015, 2017-2019
- ABA Section of Business Law, Kathryn R. Heidt Memorial Award recipient, 2012
- “Go Your Own Way” v. “I Fought the Law and the Law Won” – Intercreditor Agreements and the Bankruptcy Code, NC Bar Association, 41st Annual Bankruptcy Institute (November 2018)
- “From Franchise Disclosure Agreements to Chapter 11 Disclosure Statements” Program Chair, ABA Section of Business Law, Spring Meeting (April 2018)
- “Target Practice: Lenders in the Crosshairs” – NC Bar Association 2015 Bankruptcy Institute (October 2015)
- “Legal Malpractice Landmines” – Lawyers Mutual CLE series, Spring 2015
- Student Loan Debt: Innovative Solutions in Bankruptcy, 2015 Festival of Legal
Learning, UNC Chapel Hill (February 13, 2015)
- This Could Happen to You: Avoidance and Mitigation of Malpractice Claims in
Bankruptcy, NC Bar Association, Annual Bankruptcy Institute, Asheville, NC (November
- Second Annual Constitution Day Legal Forum, Student Loan Law, Columbia, South Carolina (September 17, 2014)
- “Risk Management and Best Practices for Lenders in Real Estate Workouts” (USLAW EduNet Telephone Seminar, 2014)
A problematic financial situation can develop out of a wide range of circumstances, from a weak economy to customer defaults. Our attorneys have extensive experience in bankruptcies, defaults and similar situations, and help companies that face bankruptcies as well creditors.
Nexsen Pruet handles the full scope of matters in bankruptcy and creditors’ rights cases — from the most sophisticated to the most routine, start to finish. Our attorneys are also well versed in collections laws and techniques, and can help you recover money or other assets you are owed.
Our bankruptcy practice involves debtor and creditor representation in Chapter 11 reorganizations, liquidations and Section 363 sales, and creditor representation in Chapters 7 and 13 bankruptcy cases. Our attorneys have an extensive range of experience handling bankruptcy, insolvency and preference litigation.
Nexsen Pruet’s bankruptcy and creditors’ rights lawyers frequently handle workouts, foreclosures, bankruptcies, receiverships and collection matters across the country.
The firm offers significant advantages to clients in terms of outstanding individual lawyers, a depth of talent, and extensive experience in many areas.